High-contrast adaptive optics imaging
Orbital properties of imaged exoplanets
Spectroscopy of exoplanets
Discovering and Characterizing Exoplanets
My research spans a variety of topics related to the formation, evolution, architectures, and atmospheres of extrasolar planets and is motivated by few basic questions:
- How and when do planets form and dynamically evolve over time?
- What mechanisms drive the orbital evolution of planets?
- How does atmospheric chemistry vary over a broad range of planet masses and ages?
- How common are planets on wide orbits and how do their statistical properties vary with orbital distance, planet mass, and host star properties?
- What is the relationship between giant planets and their higher-mass brown dwarf counterparts?
- What technical and strategic steps need to be taken to ultimately image and characterize Earth analogs?
My group uses a multipronged approach to answer these questions by carrying out large surveys to
discover new planets and measure their statistical properties, performing more targeted individual studies of the atmospheric and
orbital properties of known systems, and studying the immediate environments and formation routes of young planets
through their circumplanetary accretion disks.
More details can be found in the publications listed below and the following review papers:
"Imaging Extrasolar Giant Planets"
"Occurrence Rates from Direct Imaging Surveys"
- "Population-Level Eccentricity Distributions of Imaged Exoplanets and Brown Dwarf Companions: Dynamical Evidence for Distinct Formation Channels"
Bowler, B. P., Blunt, S., & Nielsen, E. L., arxiv:1911.10569
- "Orbit and Dynamical Mass of the Late-T Dwarf GL 758 B"
Bowler, B. P. et al. 2018, AJ, 155, 159.
- "Planets Around Low-Mass Stars (PALMS). VI. Discovery of a Remarkably Red Planetary-Mass Companion to the AB Dor Moving Group Candidate 2MASS J22362452+4751425"
Bowler, B. P. et al. 2017, AJ, 153, 18.
- "Near-Infrared Spectroscopy of 2M0441+2301 AabBab: A Quadruple System Spanning the Stellar to Planetary Mass Regimes"
Bowler, B. P. & Hillenbrand, L. A. 2015, ApJL, 811, 30
- "An ALMA Constraint on the GSC 6214-210 B Circum-substellar Accretion Disk Mass"
Bowler, B. P. et al. 2015, ApJL, 805, 17
- "Planets Around Low-Mass Stars (PALMS). IV. The Outer Architecture of M Dwarf Planetary Systems"
Bowler, B. P., Liu, M. C., Shkolnik, E. L., Tamura, M., 2015, ApJS, 216, 7
- "Spectroscopic Confirmation of Young Planetary-Mass Companions on Wide Orbits"
Bowler, B. P., Liu, M. C., Kraus, A. L., Mann, A. W., 2014, ApJ, 784, 65