HET ? PI information flow
HET has a three phase process for acquiring data.
- Phase I is the traditional telescope proposal phase.
- PI uses planning tools to demonstrate feasibility of project to TAC.
- Phase II is when PIs with approved projects describe in detail all observations needed for their projects.
- PIs use the same planning tools as in Phase I to plan and sequence observations.
- PIs create observing scripts in plain text using any text editor.
- Scripts are submitted and automatically verified via e-mail.
- Phase III is the data acquisition and distribution phase.
- HET staff uses PI-submitted scripts to schedule and execute observations that satisfy the PIís needs and requests, using the same planning tools the PI used.
- PI can retrieve data in semi-real time, examine it using familiar tools (IRAF, IDL, FigaroÖ) and revise script if needed.