|AST 307 · Introductory Astronomy
Chapter 26 Nov. 24-26
- State Hubble's law. Say how Hubble's constant is measured.
Why doesn't Hubble's law apply to objects in the solar system or
in the Milky Way?
- Explain how Hubble's law implies that the Universe began with
a "Big Bang". Explain how all distant objects could move away
from us even if we are not at the center of the expansion.
- Explain why Hubble's constant is related to the age of the
Universe in the way it is, assuming that the expansion of the
Universe is not accelerating. Assuming the expansion is not
accelerating, how does Hubble's constant change with time?
- Assuming that Newton's laws are valid, explain how and why
the fate of the Universe is related to the average density of
- What have observations of supernovae told us about the rate
of expansion of the Universe in the past? How can we explain
the acceleration of the expansion?
- How was the microwave background radiation emitted?
Why does it have the spectrum it does, with a peak wavelength
near 1 mm?