|AST 307 · Introductory Astronomy
Chapter 18 Oct. 22
- Describe how interstellar dust can be observed through its
effects on starlight that passes through it.
- How can an astronomer distinguish between a star that has been
reddened by dust and one that is red because it is cool, or one
that has had its spectrum Doppler shifted?
- Describe interstellar dust grains. Typically how big are they,
and what are they made of?
- Describe the spectrum of light coming from emission nebulae.
- How does ultraviolet radiation from hot stars cause the gas in
emission nebulae to glow?
- Describe how astronomers can observe interstellar atomic gas.
Include a description of absorption lines seen at visible and
ultraviolet wavelengths and microwave '21 cm' emission.
- How do molecules in molecular clouds emit radio wavelength