|AST 307 · Introductory Astronomy
Chapter 17 Oct. 14, 16
- How do astronomers use parallax to measure distances to stars?
- How are proper and radial motions of stars measured?
- How do astronomers measure luminosities of stars?
- If Deneb has an apparent magnitude of +1.2 and Rigel has an
apparent magnitude of +0.2, how do their fluxes compare?
- Describe two ways astronomers measure temperatures of stars.
- How can an astronomer calculate the diameter of a star from
its temperature and its luminosity?
- Make a sketch of a Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, labeling the
axes and marking the locations of main-sequence stars, red
giants, and white dwarfs.
- How do astronomers use the standard candle method (or
spectroscopic parallax) to determine the distances to stars?
- How can astronomers measure masses of stars?