|AST 307 · Introductory Astronomy
Chapter 4 Sep. 17-19
- Describe the appearance of a continuous spectrum, an emission-
line spectrum, and an absorption-line spectrum.
- In what situations do each of these types of spectra occur?
- What is a photon? Are there waves in a photon, or photons in
a light wave?
- State the relationship between the energy of a photon and the
frequency or wavelength of the associated light wave.
- Describe the process by which a hydrogen atom emits or absorbs
- How does quantum theory explain the fact that atoms emit and
absorb light of only certain discrete wavelengths?
- Describe two ways a molecule can emit radiation that differ
from how an atom emits radiation.